If you are new to the district or have a kindergarten student to enroll, please find information and required forms below.
If you have an elementary student and are unsure which school attendance area you live in, visit the District Boundaries page. The city boundary map will assist you in determining which school attendance area you live in. You may also contact the district office at 507.645.3445 or email Chris Neset for assistance. Benjamin Bus provides transportation for the district.
Children who are five years old on or before September 1 are eligible to begin kindergarten. Proof of birth date will be required for kindergarten entrance. Examples of accepted documentation include a copy of the child’s birth certificate, a hospital document, passport or baptismal certificate.
State law requires all students to complete Early Childhood Screening before they enter kindergarten. To schedule an appointment for a free screening, visit the Early Childhood Screening page. Parents may also be interested in an optional school readiness program, called Bridges to Kindergarten, that assists children in making a smooth transition to kindergarten.
After enrolling, parents of middle school (grades 6-8) and high school (grades 9-12) students transferring to Northfield Public Schools from another school district should contact the Northfield Middle School Counseling Office (507.663.0664) or the Northfield High School Counseling Office (507.663.0636) to make an appointment with a school counselor who will assist you in registering your student for classes.
Required Enrollment Forms
Families may request an enrollment packet for each student or print the forms below. Call the district office at 507.645.3445 or email Chris Neset to have them mailed to you.Submit completed forms to: District Office – Enrollment, Northfield Public Schools, 1400 Division Street S., Northfield, MN 55057
- Request for Records
- K-12 Student Enrollment Form / K-12 Formulario de Inscripción del Alumno
- Health & Emergency Information / Informacion de Salud o en Caso de Emergencio
- Home Language Questionnaire / Cuestionario sobre el idioma principal
- Student Immunization Form | Early Childhood Immunization Form
- Families in Transition Questionnaire
State law requires that students in all grades must have documentation for all required vaccines. Children enrolled or enrolling in child care or early childhood programs (that meet at least once a week for at least six weeks during the year) must also provide proof of immunizations or have a legal exemption. Medical and conscientious exemptions are allowed under the law.
The student and early childhood immunization forms are located in the Required Enrollment Forms section above. Record your child’s immunizations or exemptions on this form.
Other Enrollment Forms
Intra District Transfer
- Intra District Transfer Request 2016-17 / Formulario de asistencia entre distritos 2016-17
- Intra District Transfer Request 2017-18 / Formulario de asistencia entre distritos 2017-18
- Homeschool Full Report – This form is to be printed, filled out and mailed, or submitted electronically, to the superintendent by October 1 of each year or within 15 days of withdrawing a child from public school to homeschool.
- Letter of Intent to Continue Homeschooling – This form is to be printed, filled out and mailed, or submitted electronically, to the superintendent by October 1 of each year after the instructor has provided the district with a Full Report.
- Application for Shared Time Enrollment
Open Enrollment or Non Resident Agreement
If you have just moved into the Northfield School District, but would prefer your child to continue to attend the school in your old school district or you do not live in the Northfield School District and would like your child to attend the Northfield School District, you will need to complete an Open Enrollment Form or a Non Resident Agreement Form.
Minnesota’s Open Enrollment Program allows families to apply to send their student to any public school district in Minnesota.
Open enrollment is the process by which you apply for enrollment in a district other than the district in which you reside. It is similar to a Non Resident Agreement, except there are state-mandated time frames and guidelines. Students must apply to the school district of their choice by January 15 for attendance the following fall. Transportation is provided by the parent or guardian.
For those families who decide after January 15 to enroll their student in another school district, a Non Resident Agreement form needs to be completed. The Non Resident Agreement needs to be approved first by the district in which you live and then by the district in which you would like your child to attend. This agreement is valid only for the current school year. Transportation is provided by the parent or guardian.
If you have further questions, please email Chris Neset or call 507.645.3445.