The following policies and procedures are in place in the event that the Northfield Public Schools must be closed due to inclement weather. In addition to sharing the news with the media outlets outlined below, a gold alert will be placed across the entirety of the Northfield Public Schools website.
- Emergency School Closing Procedures
- PLC Wednesday Winter Weather
If a two-hour late start weather delay occurs on a Wednesday, district PLC meetings for staff members will not take place and school will begin at the following times:
- Bridgewater: 10:25 a.m.
- Greenvale Park: 10:20 a.m.
- Sibley: 10:20 a.m.
- Middle School: 9:57 a.m.
- High School: 9:51 a.m.
- Area Learning Center: 10:10 a.m.
Note: Morning buses will pick students up two hours later than their regular (non-Wednesday) pick-up times. Afternoon buses will run at their regular times. Also, there will be no morning preschool programs.
- Skylert/School Messenger System
- Broadcast Stations
In the event that there is a weather-related delay, closure or early dismissal, the following radio and television stations will broadcast this information:
- KYMN – 1080 AM – 95.1 FM Northfield
- WCCO-TV, Channel 4, WCCO Radio and WCCO.com – Minneapolis/St. Paul
- KARE-TV, Channel 11, and KARE11.com – Minneapolis/St. Paul
- KDHL/Power 96 – Faribault
- KSTP-TV, Channel 5, Minneapolis/St. Paul
- KMSP-TV, Channel 9, Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Winter Weather and Elementary Recess
Outside play is an important part of our elementary students’ day. Our goal is to ensure that children have an opportunity to be outside and engage in fun activities on a daily basis. However, in some circumstances, winter weather prohibits us from allowing students to go outside. Our students will have recess when the air temperature is warmer than 0º F and the wind chill is warmer than -10º F. Please make sure your children are dressed appropriately for the weather to enjoy playing outside during recess!
Since conditions and temperature recordings can vary between location, all three Northfield elementary schools use the Carleton College Weather Station as the official site to determine when weather conditions (as listed above) necessitate holding recess indoors.