Dear Northfield Middle School Families:
We are sharing a troubling situation with you. Late on Monday night (Feb. 13), the Rice County Sheriff’s Office was notified about a concerning video posted to social media by a Northfield Middle School student.
Here is what we know:
- Law enforcement determined there was no credible threat to the school.
- The video showed a student loading what appeared to be real firearms into a backpack with a caption suggesting the student was packing their bag for school.
- A concerned resident reported this incident to law enforcement.
- A Rice County Sheriff’s deputy promptly conducted an investigation.
- The weapons in the video were airsoft guns and not real firearms.
- Again, based on the investigation, law enforcement determined there was no credible threat to the school.
This incident shows that reporting all threats or concerns about student safety is essential. We are grateful to the people who promptly reported the situation to law enforcement.
Safety is a top priority. The district takes all threats of violence seriously. While this threat was deemed not credible, it can still create substantial fear. When students threaten our school, we use the Student Citizenship Handbook to address this unacceptable behavior.
We appreciate your ongoing support for our school. Please contact Mr. Gelineau with any questions.
Northfield Middle School Principal
Matt Hillmann, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools