The district’s transportation provider, Benjamin Bus, has a few tips to help families prepare for riding the bus. As the new year begins, these reminders can help to keep students safe.
Getting Ready for School
- Have your children put all their belongings in a backpack or school bag so that they won’t drop things along the way.
- Make sure children leave home on time, so they can arrive at the bus stop five minutes before the bus does. Running after or in front of a bus is dangerous.
Bus Stop Safety
- Walk young children to the bus stop or encourage children to walk in groups. There is safety in numbers, and groups are easier for drivers to see.
- Have children wait in a location where the driver can see them while driving down the street.
Getting On/Off the Bus
- Warn children that if they drop something getting on or off the bus, they should never pick it up. Instead, they should tell the bus driver and follow the driver’s instructions.
- If you meet your child at the bus stop, please wait on the side where your child will be dropped off, not across the street. Children can be so excited to see you after school, that they dash across the street and forget the safety rules.