The Northfield Girls Swim and Dive Team won the Class A State Championship title Nov. 17, a feat achieved only once before in 1998. The team earned 223 points to beat last year’s champions, Sartell-St. Stephen, by 48 points.
The 2012 team included seniors Emily Anderson, Allie Clark, Clara Drew, Elise Hanson, Lisa Janak, and Claire Walters; junior Emily Lundstrom; sophomores Grete Baker and Bailey DuPay; freshmen Bailey Dell and Hannah Domish; and 8th graders Carrin Baker, Sophie Bernstorf and Sophia Nevin. Coaching staff include Deb Seitz, Aleta Kolan and Dan DuPay.
Individual and team accomplishments include the following:
- In the 200-yard medley relay, Allie Clark, Sophia Nevin, Grete Baker and Hannah Domish finished in 9th place, breaking the Northfield High School record set in 2001.
- Claire Walters finished second in the 200-yard freestyle, breaking the school record set in 1993, and Emily Lundstrom finished in 9th place.
- In the 200-yard individual medley, Grete Baker finished in 4th place and Allie Clark earned 13th place.
- Emily Anderson finished the 50-yard freestyle in 7th place.
- Bailey DuPay earned the top spot in diving for the second straight year.
- In the 100-yard butterfly, Claire Walters finished 5th and Grete Baker took 6th place.
- In the 100-yard freestyle, Emily Anderson placed 6th and Emily Lundstrom took 9th place.
- Another school record was set and an All-American Consideration time earned in the 200-yard freestyle relay, as Claire Walters, Grete Baker, Emily Lundstrom and Emily Anderson all finished in first place.
- Sophia Nevin earned a 10th place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- Another All-American Consideration time and school record was set in the 400-yard freestyle relay by Claire Walters, Emily Lundstrom, Allie Clark and Emily Anderson, who finished in 3rd place.
- Claire Walters also broke an 11-year school record during the first leg of the 100-yard freestyle relay.
Northfield High School seniors and trumpet players, Allie Clark, Helene Anglin and Annika Fredrickson opened the meet with the national anthem.