Northfield Public Schools will be hosting a series of public meetings during January in an effort to gather community feedback regarding three important decisions coming before the Northfield Board of Education. The issues are:
- Transformational Technology: The board will be considering a proposal that would implement iPad tablet computers for students in the district. The first two meetings (Jan. 5 & 7) will focus on the findings and recommendations coming forward from several task forces. These meetings will involve a short presentation and small group discussion that will help shape the final proposal. The final meetings regarding transformational technology will be held on Feb. 2 and 4. These meetings will be an opportunity for the community to provide feedback on a proposal shared with the board on Jan. 28. The board is scheduled to vote on the final proposal at the Feb. 11 board meeting. You can read more about the transformational technology project at http://northfieldtechtransformation.blogspot.com/.
- Modified Balanced Calendar: The district is considering a modification to the start and end dates of the academic year calendar. The concept includes beginning the school year in mid-August; having a full week break in October during the same week where the two-day Education Minnesota break already falls; the first semester ending just prior to a two-week winter break; a spring break that aligns with breaks at both Carleton and St. Olaf colleges; and ending the school year in mid-May. After hearing an additional presentation on calendar details at the Jan. 14 board meeting, the board will be asked to vote on submitting an application to the commissioner of Minnesota’s Department of Education at the Jan. 28 board meeting. Final action on any balanced calendar proposal will only occur after the application is reviewed by the commissioner. You can find out more about the balanced calendar through the Northfield Patch “Sit Down with the Superintendent” segment at http://northfield.patch.com/articles/could-school-start-in-mid-august-district-exploring-calendar-changes.
***The scheduled public meetings regarding the balanced calendar have been canceled based on the Northfield Board of Education’s decision at its Jan. 14, 2013 meeting. Click here for more details about the decision.***
- ELC Trip: The district is considering modifying the annual middle school Eagle Bluff field trip due to increased 7th grade class size, student attendance trends and staff availability. The board will hear a second presentation on Jan. 14 followed by a vote on the proposed modification at that meeting. You can learn more about this issue through the Northfield Patch “Sit Down with the Superintendent” segment at http://northfield.patch.com/articles/middle-school-trip-to-eagle-bluff-could-see-changes-68eb2208#video-12639102.
The meeting schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, Jan. 5, from 10 a.m. to noon at the Northfield Middle School Media Center – Transformational Technology Concepts
- Monday, Jan. 7, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Northfield Middle School Media Center – Transformational Technology Concepts
- Thursday, Jan. 10, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Northfield Middle School Auditorium/Cafeteria – Eagle Bluff Environment Program Alternatives
Tuesday, Jan. 15, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Northfield High School Upper Cafeteria – Modified Balanced Calendar Options Thursday, Jan. 17, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Northfield High School Upper Cafeteria – Modified Balanced Calendar Options Tuesday, Jan. 22, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Northfield High School Upper Cafeteria – Modified Balanced Calendar Options
- Saturday, Feb. 2, from 10 a.m. to noon at the Northfield High School Auditorium – Transformational Technology Proposal
- Monday, Feb. 4, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Northfield High School Auditorium – Transformational Technology Proposal
Please feel free to contact us with questions about these or other school matters.
Chris Richardson, Superintendent